Friday, April 11, 2008

Special Education Abuse and BOCES Fraud

Interesting article regarding abuse.
PLEASE FORWARD/CIRCULATE WIDELY WITHOUT FURTHER PERMISSION FROM THE
AUTHOR:

Folks - below is a Newsday story re the widening scandal involving NY
districts and BOCES fraudulently paying attorneys from their outside law
firms as district/BOCES employees. The story cites Terence Smolev as
one such attorney.

I know that Smolev worked as a hearing officer for many years, hearing
and deciding parents' disputes with districts and BOCES under the IDEA.
I recall that he was a real s.o.b. to parents and never revealed to
anyone that he was also a district employee. It may be that him serving
as a hearing officer at the same time he was paid as a district
employee was flat out illegal and a violation of these parents'/kids civil and
constitutional rights to impartial hearing officers under the IDEA.

If you had Smolev as a hearing officer - or you know anyone who did -
please let me know about it. I'll keep all information confidential
unless I'm given permission to reveal. I'd like to know more and possibly
brief the feds investigating this scandal about this aspect of
Smolev's "work." Get to me at: sappell@nyc.rr.com or 212.662.2783.

Dee Alpert, Publisher
SpecialEducationMuckraker.com
http://www.specialeducationmuckraker.com

No comments: