Sunday, April 27, 2008

Please Join the Fight for the Carey Family


Advocates for Decency

I read this from a State Advocacy Group Regarding Jonathon's Law
Copy the Link and read for yourself.
http://www.sanys.org/Policy/Johnathan%20Carey%20Statement.pdf

If we want a just world, we can not compromise on human dignity. I am sorry.

Here is my response:

I read with great interest your response to Jonathon's law.
I have heard his family speak and I also have looked into CPS's unfounded reports. I guess I do not understand the objection to what is just and decent for families of people with disabilities having full disclosure when a restraint happens? What is the harm regarding releasing documentation of an incident at a residential setting?

The facts are that the staff member who killed their child was passed along in the system. He had over a thousand hours of OT in one year. This would make a great point for higher wages. Why hide this from the Carey's or the general public?

Regarding the staff member, this was not his first instance of abuse. Why did the state fight so hard to keep this information from the Careys? If that was your child, are you saying this is just? Where is the struggle here. They believe many good people work in a system that is broken. This is said with no disrespect to them. I have spoken to workers in this field and hear time and time again from their own mouths that there is a problem. Are they wrong also?

I do not work with disable children, however I want what is just for them. Am I wrong to ask for justice?N

No comments: